Friday, December 15, 2006

Dogs of War on Christmas

At the risk of a red state backlash, if I dreamed up a schmaltzy parody of a flag-waving Christmas ballad I couldn't improve on the excruciating teary-eyed hymn which is A Soldier's Silent Night.

You're unfamiliar with this patriotic piece of corn pone? Well it's playing on the hour on every Christmas radio station across the country interrupting perfectly good sets of holiday music cheer.

Originally penned and recorded in 1987 by Blackfive and titled "Merry Christmas, My Friend", it tells the story of dear old Santa who on his Christmas eve ride encounters a weary solidier asleep in his bunk. The sight brings Santa to tears and he is unable to continue with his annual ride. Suddenly, the soldier awakes:

But half asleep he rolled over, and in a voice clean and pure,
said "Carry on, Santa, it's Christmas Day, all secure."
One look at my watch and I knew he was right,
Merry Christmas my friend, Semper Fi and goodnight.

YUCK!

Unfortunately it appears I need an attitude adjustment. Folks here, and here and especially here fail to see the humor in all this.

And this does not mean I don't support our troops. One trip to Any Soldier can reduce me to tears about the hardships of war (on that topic, please visit the sight and make a donation).

You can be patriotic, but do you have to support such a bad song? Truth is, so many others have done it better. Check out A Fighter Pilot's Christmas from In Country, a recording of Vietnam era songs. And the Reverend Oris Mays' Another Christmas Without My Son is direct and heartbreaking.

To hear this holiday turkey, click here (always faithful indeed)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home